Thursday, August 18, 2011

From a techie to a social protester

I never endorsed any kind of protests / rallies. Being a cynical hardcore techie, I always felt that only those resort to such thing who dont have anything else to do. I also had cynical views towards the people taking part in such protests/rallies/marches. I used to think that not more than 20% of such crowd will even know why they are protesting. I even hated such demonstrations and protests as they raise inconvenience to other common people who may not be directly concerned with the movement.

But that dosen't mean that I had no feelings or emotions towards my society or my country. Whenever there is anything related to our Nation, I become emotional. Even today, National Anthem makes my Tshirt become XL from L. Patriotic Songs like "Vande Mataram", "Ma Tujhe Salam", "Ae Mere Vatan ke logo", "Kar chale hum fida" etc bring shivers through my body.

I recollect feeling that i was having while I was coming out of the theater after watching "Rang De Basanti". That was firstly because of the topic that struck the right cords connected to common man like me and secondly it was a well orchestrated and directed feature with all the right music and other effects. Two days ago, I had the same feeling.

No, I haven't been to movie theater this time. This time it was a road which had been so regular to me that I would have passed by it more than hundred times before. But this time there was something different. I was on a two wheeler. The traffic was moving at a snails speed. Ahead of me there was a group of near 40-45 motor cyclists with tricolors in hands. Those people were shouting slogans ranging from "Bharat Maata Ki Jai" to "Anna Hazaare tum aage badho, Hum tumhare saath hai".

I could never imagine to be a part of any kind of protests on street or to shout at the top of my lungs on public streets. Even that day when i joined that two-wheeler rally, i was quite (or i was trying to stay quite.). But then suddenly the motorist besides me shouted "Bharat Maata Ki" and within a flash after him finishing, my mouth opened and my ear heard one unbelievable voice of my own. "Jai" was the word that I remember hearing from myself. Strangely it was difficult for me to comprehend that how can the same environment be generated by just a group of people in an open street which i experienced in a closed theaters with a well directed feature and best sound effects.

The first shout was the icebreaker. After that without thinking any further, my voice joined the chants and shouts for the rest of the rally. In fact there were stretches when others stopped chanting the leading lines, I was the one giving the lead followed by huge roars. I just cant express the feeling that I had after getting huge roar to follow my lead from people whom I never met before or will never meet again.

This movement has something special that is making people in individual capacity to join. They are not being brought in trucks or buses or neither they are getting paid to be a part of it. For the first time people are joining because they really want to support. Cause the issue is something that relates to every individual from every class. Strangely, this movement even has support from the other side of the barricade. This movement can never be compared to the likes of Egypt, Myanmar etc.

Frankly speaking in spite of voting for a rational person (Mr. Arun Bhatia) in last LS election, I saw Kalmadi winning it with huge margins. I surely had lost my faith in the democracy that we practice. I never thought that I, in my individual capacity will ever be able, to be a part of bringing change to this country. But this movement has opened my perspective. And yes from a hardcore techie who preferred to limit his views to his friends circle sitting under sheds, I have become a protester who is not shy of voicing his views at the top of his lungs in busy streets.

Jai Hind!

2 comments:

Vishal Karnik said...

Good one Alok! Meri gal note kar .. Alok poltics join kar raha hai ;)

ANUP KUMAR said...

Good One!!